1. The top 10 causes of death. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2013 (http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs310/en/index.html).
2. Murphy SL, Xu J, Kochanek KD. Deaths: preliminary data for 2010. Natl
Vital Stat Rep 2012;60:1-51.
3. Angus DC, Linde-Zwirble WT, Lidicker J, Clermont G, Carcillo J, Pinsky MR. Epidemiology of severe sepsis in the United States: analysis of incidence, outcome, and associated costs of care. Crit Care Med 2001;29:1303-10.
4. Brancati FL, Chow JW, Wagener MM, Vacarello SJ, Yu VL. Is pneumonia really the old man’s friend? Two-year prognosis after community-acquired pneumonia. Lancet 1993;342:30-3.
5. Waterer GW, Kessler LA, Wunderink RG. Medium-term survival after hospitalization with community-acquired pneumonia. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2004; 169:910-4.
6. Yende S, Angus DC, Ali IS, et al. Influence of comorbid conditions on longterm mortality after pneumonia in older people. J Am Geriatr Soc 2007;55:518-25.
7. Angus DC, Marrie TJ, Obrosky DS, et al. Severe community-acquired pneumonia: use of intensive care services and
evaluation of American and British Thoracic Society diagnostic criteria. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2002;166:717-23.
8. Wilson KC, Schünemann HJ. An appraisal of the evidence underlying performance measures for community-acquired pneumonia. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2011;183:1454-62.
9. Waterer GW, Kessler LA, Wunderink RG. Delayed administration of antibiotics and atypical presentation in communityacquired pneumonia. Chest 2006;130:11-5.
10. Albaum MN, Hill LC, Murphy M, et al. Interobserver reliability of the chest radiograph in community-acquired pneumonia. Chest 1996;110:343-50.
11. Griffin MR, Zhu Y, Moore MR, Whitney CG, Grijalva CG. U.S. hospitalizations for pneumonia after a decade of pneumococcal vaccination. N Engl J Med 2013;
12. Vanderkooi OG, Low DE, Green K, Powis JE, McGeer A. Predicting antimicrobial resistance in invasive pneumococcal infections. Clin Infect Dis 2005;40:1288-97.
13. Mandell LA, Wunderink RG, Anzueto A, et al. Infectious Diseases Society of America/American Thoracic Society consensus guidelines on the management of community-acquired pneumonia in adults. Clin Infect Dis 2007;44:Suppl 2:S27-S72.
14. Gleason PP, Meehan TP, Fine JM, Ga- The New England Journal of Medicine lusha DH, Fine MJ. Associations between initial antimicrobial therapy and medical outcomes for hospitalized elderly patients with pneumonia. Arch Intern Med 1999; 159:2562-72.
15. Brown RB, Iannini P, Gross P, Kunkel M. Impact of initial antibiotic choice on clinical outcomes in community-acquired pneumonia: analysis of a hospital claimsmade database. Chest 2003;123:1503-11.
16. Capelastegui A, Espa.a PP, Quintana JM, et al. Improvement of process-of-care and outcomes after implementing a guideline for the management of community-acquired pneumonia: a controlled
before-and-after design study. Clin Infect Dis 2004;39:955-63.
17. Dean NC, Silver MP, Bateman KA, James B, Hadlock CJ, Hale D. Decreased mortality after implementation of a treatment guideline for community-acquired pneumonia. Am J Med 2001;110:451-7.
18. Metersky ML, Ma A, Houck PM, Bratzler DW. Antibiotics for bacteremic pneumonia: improved outcomes with macrolides but not fluoroquinolones. Chest 2007;131:466-73.
19. Sligl WI, Asadi L, Eurich DT, Tjosvold L, Marrie TJ, Majumdar SR. Macrolides and mortality in critically ill patients with community-acquired pneumonia: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Crit Care Med 2013 October 23 (Epub ahead of print).
20. Houck PM, Bratzler DW, Nsa W, Ma A, Bartlett JG. Timing of antibiotic administration and outcomes for Medicare patients hospitalized with community acquired pneumonia. Arch Intern Med 2004;164: 637-44.
21. Meehan TP, Fine MJ, Krumholz HM, et al. Quality of care, process, and outcomes in elderly patients with pneumonia. JAMA 1997;278:2080-4.
22. Polgreen PM, Chen YY, Cavanaugh JE, et al. An outbreak of severe Clostridium difficile-associated disease possibly related to inappropriate antimicrobial therapy for community-acquired pneumonia. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2007;28:212-4.
23. Kanwar M, Brar N, Khatib R, Fakih MG. Misdiagnosis of community-acquired pneumonia and inappropriate utilization of antibiotics: side effects of the 4-h antibiotic administration rule. Chest 2007; 131:1865-9.
24. Barlow G, Nathwani D, Williams F, et al. Reducing door-to-antibiotic time in community-acquired pneumonia: controlled before-and-after evaluation and cost-effectiveness analysis. Thorax 2007;62:67-74.
25. Pines JM, Isserman JA, Hinfey PB. The measurement of time to first antibiotic dose for pneumonia in the emergency department: a white paper and position statement prepared for the American Academy of Emergency Medicine. J Emerg Med 2009;37:335-40.
26. Lim HF, Phua J, Mukhopadhyay A, et al. IDSA/ATS minor criteria aided pre-ICU resuscitation in severe community-acquired pneumonia. Eur Respir J 2013 October 31 (Epub ahead of print).
27. Kumar A Roberts D, Wood KE, et al. Duration of hypotension before initiation of effective antimicrobial therapy is the critical determinant of survival in human septic shock. Crit Care Med 2006;34:1589-96.
28. American Thoracic Society, Infectious Diseases Society of America. Guidelines for the management of adults with hospital-acquired, ventilator-associated, and healthcare-associated pneumonia. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2005;
29. Shindo Y, Ito R, Kobayashi D, et al. Risk factors for drug-resistant pathogens in community-acquired and healthcareassociated pneumonia. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2013;188:985-95.
30. Kollef MH, Shorr A, Tabak YP, Gupta V, Liu LZ, Johannes RS. Epidemiology and outcomes of health-care-associated pneumonia: results from a large US database of culture-positive pneumonia. Chest 2005; 128:3854-62. [Erratum, Chest 2006;129:831.]
31. Micek ST, Kollef KE, Reichley RM, Roubinian N, Kollef MH. Health careassociated pneumonia and communityacquired pneumonia: a single-center experience. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2007;51:3568-73.
32. Gillet Y, Vanhems P, Lina G, et al. Factors predicting mortality in necrotizing community-acquired pneumonia caused by Staphylococcus aureus containing Panton- Valentine leukocidin. Clin Infect Dis 2007;45:315-21.
33. Sicot N, Khanafer N, Meyssonnier V, et al. Methicillin resistance is not a predictor of severity in community-acquired Staphylococcus aureus necrotizing pneumonia: results of a prospective observationa
study. Clin Microbiol Infect 2013; 19:E142-E148.
34. Yealy DM, Auble TE, Stone RA, et al. Effect of increasing the intensity of implementing pneumonia guidelines: a randomized, controlled trial. Ann Intern Med 2005;143:881-94.
35. Fine MJ, Auble TE, Yealy DM, et al. A prediction rule to identify low-risk patients with community-acquired pneumonia. N Engl J Med 1997;336:243-50.
36. Lim WS, van der Eerden MM, Laing R, et al. Defining community acquired pneumonia severity on presentation to hospital: an international derivation and validation study. Thorax 2003;58:377-82.
37. Renaud B, Santin A, Coma E, et al. Association between timing of intensive care unit admission and outcomes for emergency department patients with community-acquired pneumonia. Crit Care Med 2009;37:2867-74.
38. Restrepo MI, Mortensen EM, Rello J, Brody J, Anzueto A. Late admission to the ICU in patients with community-acquired pneumonia is associated with higher mortality. Chest 2010;137:552-7.
39. Charles PG, Wolfe R, Whitby M, et al. SMART-COP: a tool for predicting the need for intensive respiratory or vasopressor support in community-acquired pneumonia. Clin Infect Dis 2008;47:375-84.
40. Renaud B, Labarère J, Coma E, et al. Risk stratification of early admission to the intensive care unit of patients with no major criteria of severe community-acquired pneumonia: development of an international prediction rule. Crit Care 2009;13:R54.
41. Espa.a PP, Capelastegui A, Gorordo I, et al. Development and validation of a clinical prediction rule for severe community- acquired pneumonia. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2006;174:1249-56.
42. Rivers E, Nguyen B, Havstad S, et al. Early goal-directed therapy in the treatment of severe sepsis and septic shock. N Engl J Med 2001;345:1368-77.
43. Labelle AJ, Arnold H, Reichley RM, Micek ST, Kollef MH. A comparison of culture-positive and culture-negative health-care-associated pneumonia. Chest 2010;137:1130-7.
44. Chalmers JD, Taylor JK, Singanayagam A, et al. Epidemiology, antibiotic therapy, and clinical outcomes in health care-associated pneumonia: a UK cohort study. Clin Infect Dis 2011;53:107- 13.
45. Kett DH, Cano E, Quartin AA, et alters. Implementation of guidelines for management of possible multidrug-resistant pneumonia in intensive care: an observational, multicentre cohort study. Lancet Infect Dis 2011;11:181-9.
46. Attridge RT, Frei CR, Restrepo MI, et al. Guideline-concordant therapy and outcomes in healthcare-associated pneumonia. Eur Respir J 2011;38:878-87.
47. El Solh AA, Pietrantoni C, Bhat A, Bhora M, Berbary E. Indicators of potentially drug-resistant bacteria in severe nursing home-acquired pneumonia. Clin Infect Dis 2004;39:474-80.
48. Woodhead M, Blasi F, Ewig S, et al. Guidelines for the management of adult lower respiratory tract infections: summary. Clin Microbiol Infect 2011;17:Suppl 6:1-24.
Para ver los comentarios de sus colegas o para expresar su opinión debe ingresar con su cuenta de IntraMed.