1. Wolinsky FD, Fitzgerald JF, Stump TE. The effect of hip fracture on mortality, hospitalization and functional status: a prospective study. Am J Public Health 1997;87:398-403.
2. Huddleston JM, Whitford KJ. Medical care of elderly patients with hip fractures. Mayo Clin Proc 2001;76:295-8.
3. Morrison RS, Chassin MR, Siu AL. The medical consultant's role in caring for patients with hip fracture. Ann Intern Med 1998;128:1010-20.
4. Parker MJ, Myles JW, Anand JK, Drewett R. Cost-benefit analysis of hip fracture treatment. J Bone Joint Surg Br 1992;74:261-4.
5. Perez JV, Warwick DJ, Case CP, Bannister GC. Death after proximal femoral fracture-an autopsy study. Injury 1995;26:237-40.
6. Geerts WH, Pineo GF, Heit JA, Bergqvist D, Lassen MR, Colwell CW, et al. Prevention of venous thromboembolism: the Seventh ACCP Conference on Antithrombotic and Thrombolytic Therapy. Chest 2004; 126:S338-400.
7. Handoll HH, Farrar MJ, McBirnie J, Tytherleigh-Strong G, Milne AA, Gillespie WJ. Heparin, low molecular weight heparin and physical methods for preventing deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism following surgery for hip fractures. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2002;(4):CD000305.
8. Morrison RS, Siu AL. Medical consultation for patients with hip fracture. Accessed February 15, 2006
9. Prevention of pulmonary embolism and deep vein thrombosis with low dose aspirin. Pulmonary Embolism Prevention (PEP) Trial. Lancet 2000;355:1295-302.
10. Eriksson BI, Bauer KA, Lassen MR, Turpie AG, for the Steering Committee of the Pentasaccharide in Hip-Fracture Surgery Study. Fondaparinux compared with enoxaparin for the prevention of venous thromboembolism after hip-fracture surgery. N Engl J Med 2001;345:1298-304.
11. Fisher CG, Blachut PA, Salvian AJ, Meek RN, O'Brien PJ. Effectiveness of pneumatic leg compression devices for the prevention of thromboembolic disease in orthopaedic trauma patients: a prospective, randomized study of compression alone versus no prophylaxis. J Orthop Trauma 1995;9:1-7.
12. Eriksson BI, Lassen MR, for the PENTasaccharide in Hip-FRActure Surgery Plus Investigators. Duration of prophylaxis against venous thromboembolism with fondaparinux after hip fracture surgery: a multicenter, randomized placebo-controlled, double-blind study. Arch Intern Med 2003;163:1337-42.
13. Gillespie WJ, Walenkamp G. Antibiotic prophylaxis for surgery for proximal femoral and other closed long bone fractures. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2001;(1):CD000244.
14. Classen DC, Evans RS, Pestotnik SL, Horn SD, Menlove RL, Burke JP. The timing of prophylactic administration of antibiotics and the risk of surgical-wound infection. N Engl J Med 1992;326:281-6.
15. 15 . March L, Chamberlain A, Cameron I, Cumming R, Kurrle S, Finnegan T, et al. Prevention, treatment, and rehabilitation of fractured neck of femur. Report from the Northern Sydney Area Fractured Neck of Femur Health Outcomes Project. 1996. Accessed February 15, 2006
16. Westchester Medical Center 808 Group. Antimicrobial prophylaxis protocol. Accessed February 15, 2006, 17. Smith NK, Albazzaz MK. A prospective study of urinary retention and risk of death after proximal femoral fracture. Age Ageing 1996;25:150-4.
17. Morrison RS, Siu AL. Medical aspects of hip fracture management. In: Cassel CK, ed. Geriatric Medicine: an Evidence-Based Approach. 4th ed. New York, N.Y.: Springer, 2003.
18. Edelstein DM, Aharonoff GB, Karp A, Capla EL, Zuckerman JD, Koval KJ. Effect of postoperative delirium on outcome after hip fracture. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2004;422:195-200.
19. American College of Physicians. PIER: physician's information and education. Accessed February 15, 2006
20. Morrison RS, Magaziner J, McLaughlin MA, Orosz G, Silverzweig SB, Koval KJ, et al. The impact of post-operative pain on outcomes following hip fracture. Pain 2003;103:303-11.
21. Morrison RS, Magaziner J, Gilbert M, Koval KJ, McLaughlin MA, Orosz G, et al. Relationship between pain and opioid analgesics on the development of delirium following hip fracture. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2003;58:76-81.
22. Duggleby W, Lander J. Cognitive status and postoperative pain: older adults. J Pain Symptom Manage 1994;9:19-27.
23. Lynch EP, Lazor MA, Gellis JE, Orav J, Goldman L, Marcantonio ER. The impact of postoperative pain on the development of postoperative delirium. Anesth Analg 1998;86:781-5.
24. Beers MH, Explicit criteria for determining potentially inappropriate medication use by the elderly: an update. Arch Intern Med 1997,157:1531-6.
25. Brummel-Smith K. Rehabilitation. In: Cassel CK, ed. Geriatric Medicine: an Evidence-Based Approach. 4th ed. New York, N.Y.: Springer, 2003.
26. Duncan P, Studenski S, Delateur B. Rehabilitation. In: Geriatric Review Syllabus. 5th ed. New York, N.Y.: American Geriatrics Society, 2002:84-93.
27. Guccione AA, Fagerson TL, Anderson JJ. Regaining functional independence in the acute care setting following hip fracture. Phys Ther 1996;76:818-26.
28. National Osteoporosis Foundation. Physician's guide to prevention and treatment of osteoporosis. Accessed February 15, 2006
29. U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Guide to Clinical Preventive Services. 3rd ed. Washington, D.C.: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, 2003.
30. American Academy of Family Physicians. Recommendations for clinical preventive services. Accessed May 12, 2005
31. Marshall D, Johnell O, Wedel H. Meta-analysis of how well measures of bone mineral density predict occurrence of osteoporotic fractures. BMJ 1996;312:1254-9.
32. Cummings SR, Nevitt MC, Browner WS, Stone K, Fox KM, Ensrud KE, et al. Risk factors for hip fracture in white women. Study of Osteoporotic Fractures Research Group. N Engl J Med 1995;332:767-73.
33. Gillespie LD, Gillespie WJ, Robertson MC, Lamb SE, Cumming RG, Rowe BH. Interventions for preventing falls in elderly people. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2003;(4):CD000340.
34. Parker MJ, Gillespie WJ, Gillespie LD. Hip protectors for preventing hip fractures in older people. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2005;(3):CD001255.