1. Adashi EY. Clomiphene citrate-initiated ovulation. Semin Reprod Endocrinol. 1986;4:255.
2. Bates GW, Bates SR, Whitworth NS. Reproductive failure in women who practice weight control. Fertil Steril. 1982;37:373-378.
3. Murakawa H, Hasegawa I, Kurabayashi T, et al. Polycystic ovary syndrome: insulin resistance and ovulatory responses to clomiphene citrate. J Reprod Med. 1999;44:23-27.
4. Pasquali R, Antenucci D, Casimirri F, et al. Clinical and hormonal characteristics of obese and amenorrheic women before and after weight loss. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1989;68:173-179.
5. Bates GW, Whitworth NS. Effect of body weight reduction on plasma androgens in obese infertile women. Fertil Steril. 1982;38:406-409.
6. Guzick DS, Wing R, Smith D, Berga SL, Winters SJ. Endocrine consequences of weight loss in obese, hyperandrogenic anovulatory women. Fertil Steril. 1994;61:598-604.
7. Huber-Buchholz MM, Carey DGP, Norman RJ. Restoration of reproductive potential by lifestyle modification in obese polycystic ovary syndrome: role of insulin sensitivity and luteinizing hormone. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1999;84:1470-1474.
8. Barbieri RL, Makris A, Randall RW, Daniels G, Kistner RW, Ryan KJ. Insulin stimulates androgen accumulation in incubations of ovarian stroma obtained from women with hyperandrogenism. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1986;62:904-910.
9. Nestler JE, Jakubowicz DJ, Evans WS, Pasquali R. Effects of metformin on spontaneous and clomiphene-induced ovulation in the polycystic ovary syndrome. N Engl J Med. 1998;338:1876-1880.
10. Morin-Papunen LC, Koivunen RM, Ruokonen A, Martikainen HK. Metformin therapy improves the menstrual pattern with minimal endocrine and metabolic effects in women with polycystic ovary syndrome. Fertil Steril. 1998;69:691-696.
11. Moghetti P, Castello R, Negri C, et al. Metformin effects on clinical features, endocrine and metabolic profiles, and insulin sensitivity in polycystic ovary syndrome: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled 6-month trial, followed by open, long-term clinical evaluation. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2000;85:139-146.
12. Sarlis NJ, Weil SJ, Nelson LM. Administration of metformin to a diabetic woman with extreme hyperandrogenemia of non-tumoral origin, management of infertility and prevention of inadvertent masculinization of a female fetus. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1999;84:1510-1512.
13. Coetzee EJ, Jackson WP. The management of non-insulin dependent diabetes during pregnancy. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 1986;1:281-287.
14. Barbieri RL. Induction of ovulation in infertile women with hyperandrogenism and insulin resistance. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2000;183:1412-1418.
15. Barbieri RL, Ryan KJ. Hyperandrogenism, insulin resistance and acanthosis nigricans syndrome: a common endocrinopathy with distinct pathophysiologic features. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1983;147:90-101.
16. Glueck CJ, Phillips H, Cameron D, Sieve-Smith L, Wang P. Continuing metformin throughout pregnancy in women with polycystic ovary syndrome appears to safely reduce first trimester spontaneous abortion: a pilot study. Fertil Steril. 2001;75:46-52.
17. Daly DC, Walters CA, Soto-Albors CE, et al. A randomized study of dexamethasone in ovulation induction with clomiphene citrate. Fertil Steril. 1984;41:844-848.
18. Branigan EF, Estes MA. Treatment of chronic anovulation resistant to clomiphene citrate by using oral contraceptive ovarian suppression followed by repeat clomiphene treatment. Fertil Steril. 1999;71:544-546.